For further assistance you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an important legal document so please take the time to read it carefully.
What personal information we collect
What types of personal information does The Civic Group collect?
When you engage us as a client, we will ask you to provide personal information which we will store in your account.
The types of personal information The Civic Group collects about you depends on the circumstances in which the information is collected. The main types of data we collect are:
- contact details (such as your name, address, email address and phone numbers);
- your employer;
- current occupation;
- general Website usage information (such as the IP address you are using, the geographical location and other information collected by cookies and related technologies).
The Civic Group does not generally require users to disclose any sensitive information to us (e.g. details of race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health information etc).
If you do provide sensitive information to us for any reason (for example, if you provide us with information about your membership of a political association or your political opinions or criminal record), you consent to us collecting that information and to us using and disclosing that information for the purpose for which you disclosed it to us and as permitted by the Privacy Act and other relevant laws.
In addition to the types of personal information identified above, The Civic Group may collect personal information as otherwise permitted or required by law.
In many cases, it will be impracticable for us to deal with you if you have not identified yourself or wish to use a pseudonym. However, if you wish to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when transacting with us, please indicate that fact to us as soon as practical to do so and we will consider whether we can accommodate your request.
How do we collect your personal information?
The Civic Group uses various technologies to collect and store information when you visit the Website. This may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your device or browser and to improve the overall quality of our Service.
The Civic Group collects personal information in a number of ways. The most common ways we collect your personal information are:
- directly from you, including when you provide it to us by phone or email, or via the Website;
- from publicly available sources including those online;
- from our related companies and shareholders; and
- from third parties (for example, from referees if you apply for a position as an employee or contractor with us).
A “cookie” is a small data element stored by your web browser on your computer system. If selected by you, a “cookie” will be used to confirm we have verified your authentication for the Website or your username and password and enable you to be automatically logged in when you return. The “cookies” we use do not store your email address or other personal information about you.
We may use this technology to generate statistics and measure Website activity to improve the usefulness of user visits. Each time you access the Website, we may deliver certain customised information, based on the data stored in your cookie. Third party vendors may show our ads on sites on the Internet and serve these ads based on a user’s prior visits to our Website and other Internet activity. The Civic Group may also use analytics data supplied by third party vendors to inform and optimise our ad campaigns.
Why we collect this information
For what purposes do we collect, use and disclose your personal information?
The purposes for which we use and disclose your personal information will depend on the circumstances in which we collect it.
Generally, we may use or disclose your personal information:
- for the purposes for which we collected it (and related purposes which would be reasonably expected by you);
- for other purposes to which you have consented; and
- as otherwise authorised or required by law.
If you use our Website, we may collect, use and disclose your personal information so that we can:
- contact you or put you in contact with people that would be necessary or useful to your identified business goals;
- make the Website functionality available to you and others, to provide you and others with services, to improve our Website and services and to display and serve relevant advertisements to you;
- address any issues or complaints that we or you have regarding our relationship or in relation to any issues you have with other users of the Website; and
- contact you regarding the above via the Website, or via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
We may also use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing to you where:
- you have consented to us doing so; or
- we are otherwise permitted to do so by law.
What we do with your information
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may also disclose your personal information to the following types of third parties:
- other persons to whom you have directed or otherwise permitted us to disclose your personal information to;
- our related companies and shareholders;
- our contractors on a confidential basis (including data hosting providers and IT service providers);
- other persons who perform services for, or in connection with, us (including to facilitate electronic direct mailing);
- in the event that we or our assets or shares may be acquired or considered for acquisition by a third party, that third party and its advisors;
- otherwise as permitted or required by law.
Does personal information leave Australia?
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose personal information may be located outside Australia. For example, we may disclose personal information incidentally to cloud software providers who have provided us with services or hosting. The countries in which these third parties are located will depend on the circumstances.
We take great care in the selection of software providers and use providers who we are satisfied adopt appropriate security measures including encryption of personal information.
Except where an exception applies under the Privacy Act, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that such overseas recipients do not breach the Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act in relation to such information.
Controlling your information
What tools can you access to control your personal information?
How do we protect your personal information?
The Civic Group will take reasonable steps to keep personal information we hold about you secure. However, the internet is not a secure environment and although care is taken, we cannot guarantee the security of information provided to us or stored or transferred via electronic means.
Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security.
What can you do if you have other queries, comments and complaints about our handling of personal information?
When contacting us, please provide as much detail as possible in relation to your question, concern or complaint. The Civic Group will take any privacy complaint seriously and any complaint will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with any relevant information that we may need.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of our assessment of your complaint, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
We can be contacted via email at: email@example.com.